Within these booking Terms and Conditions 'The Hirer' means the leading person in your party. 'The Company' means ‘Star Narrowboat Holidays.’ Please pay particular attention to our cancellation policy under clauses 5 & 6.
By making a payment to Star Narrowboat Holidays (including any deposit) you are indicating that you have read and accept these Terms and Conditions.
• A booking is confirmed when the deposit of 25% of the Hire Charge has been received and confirmation of the booking and a receipt has been issued by the Company.
• The balance of the Hire Charge is payable 8 weeks before the holiday departure date. If the hire start date falls within 8 weeks of booking the full hire fee will be required to secure the required dates
2. Security Deposits
• We require £350 CASH (£100 for static hires only) as a security deposit on the start date of your holiday. This is fully refunded when the boat and its contents are returned without damage or loss or the need for excessive cleaning.
• Under certain circumstances, e.g. when The Hirer is under 25 years of age, a £400 security deposit in CASH may be required to be paid on the day of arrival - this is always negotiated at the time of booking.
• Security deposits will be returned in cash or by cheque at the sole discretion of The Company providing there is no damage to The Company’s or other boats; the boat is returned on time, and in a clean and tidy manner, and there have been no reports received of the navigation rules being broken, or of antisocial behaviour, e.g. causing damage or harmful littering to canal or other properties. The Company shall have the right to hold the security deposit for a period of 48 hours from the return of the boat to check for damage.
• The boat is insured but The Hirer is responsible for the first £350 of any claim. This cover does not include personal accident, The Hirer’s personal belongings, or damage, e.g. resulting from speeding, locks and sills, or any malicious or deliberate act. The Hirer is responsible for any costs arising from such incidents. The Hirer is responsible for their own personal holiday insurance.
3. Company Insurance and Liability
* The Company's liability shall be limited to the hire charge.
* The Company shall not be liable for any consequential losses, loss of profits or indirect losses.
* Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall restrict The Company's liability for death or personal injury.
4. Under the age of 21 years
• The Company cannot accept a booking from any person less than 21 years of age i.e. the main hirer must be over 21yrs.
• Picture identification such as passport or driving licence with name and address must be shown before the hire commences.
All deposits are non-refundable.
• Cancellations made less than 21 days before the hire start date will incur payment of the full fee however, in this event every effort will be made to re-let whole or part of the period booked at the best possible price.
• If we are successful in re-letting the boat at the booked rate The Hirer is then only charged 10% of the booked rate (plus the non-refundable deposit).
• If we are unsuccessful in re-letting the booking, or only obtain part of the booked rate, The Hirer remains responsible for the balance of the booked Hire Charge.
Cancellations made further than 21 days before the hire start date will be given a full refund minus the non-refundable deposit (25% of the hire fee).
6. Cancellation & Holiday Insurance
• The Company does not provide personal holiday insurance covering cancellation, injury, or loss or damage of personal effects. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT OUR CUSTOMERS OBTAIN THEIR OWN PERSONAL HOLIDAY AND CANCELLATION INSURANCE.
7. Commencement and Return of Boat
Pick-up and return times are as stated in the Handover Booking Form. The Hirer is responsible for allowing sufficient time to return to the Bridgewater Marina at the agreed time. If the boat is not returned on time a strict charge of £50.00 per hour will be deducted from the security deposit. The boat must be left in a reasonably clean condition, if the boat is returned in an excessively dirty condition The Company reserves the right to charge for any extra cleaning that is necessary.
8. Inventory and Equipment
It is The Hirer's responsibility to check the Inventory List (provided in the Handover Booklet) and report any missing or damaged items. The Hirer is responsible for returning the Inventory and Equipment in good condition. Any damage will be charged for out of the security deposit.
9. Solid Fuel Stove
• The Company cannot be held responsible for any delays or non-fulfilment of holiday schedules caused by breakdown, unforeseen defects, obstructions, repairs, or damage, to either the boat or the Inland Waterways system. However, The Company will make every reasonable effort to assist in such cases.
• The Company reserves the right to restrict the cruising area without notice if unusual conditions occur and will not normally make financial adjustment in such circumstances.
11. Waterways restrictions
In the event of canal closure, due to unforeseen circumstances, The Company reserves the right to operate from suitable alternative bases without normally making any financial adjustment.
12. Ice and Adverse Weather Conditions
If the canal freezes over The Hirer must consult with The Company before they move the boat.
13. Wastage of Water
The Hirer is responsible for any wastage of water or damage caused by negligent use of lock paddles or other property resulting in a claim by the Water Authorities.
The Hirer is held to be in complete charge at all times, and is responsible for the safe navigation of the boat.
In the event of an accident The Hirer must notify The Company as quickly as possible with full details and names and addresses of witnesses. DO NOT PREJUDGE THE CASE BY ADMITTING LIABILITY.
15. Navigation Limitations
• The Hirer must not navigate in the hours of darkness or in fog.
• The Hirer must not tow other boats or enter river or tidal waters without consent of The Company.
• The Hirer must not exceed the speed limit, attempt to overtake, or race the boat.
16. Car Parking
The Company provide outdoor parking free of charge (the car park gates are locked at night). The Company does not accept liability for any damage to or loss of vehicles or their contents.
17. Company Reservations
The Company reserves the right to refuse to hand over the boat to any person who in The Company’s' opinion is not deemed suitable to take charge such as to people under influence of alcohol or drugs and to people who are simply unable to control the boat safely.
18. Online Brochure
• The descriptions of the boat in the online brochure are to the best of our knowledge accurate but The Company will not be liable for any minor inaccuracy that may exist.
19. Boat Operation
• The Hirer agrees to operate the boat in a safe manner following the instruction given to them by The Company, and to abide by the speed limit of 4mph.
• The Hirer agrees that they will be liable for the cost of any repairs where damage to the boat or its engine has been caused by speeding.
• The Hirer agrees that they will not operate or move the boat whilst under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
• No person under the age of 18 yrs is permitted to operate the boat unless authorised and fully supervised by an adult.
20. Smoking Policy
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the boats nor in the front porch of 'Gloria'. If the boats are returned and it is clear that The Hirer has smoked inside the boats or the front porch of 'Gloria' the full security deposit will be kept by The Company and no further action will be taken against The Company.
21. Candles Policy
Candles are not to be used on nor in the boat.
22. Electrical Appliances
No appliances exceeding 1800 watts are to be used on the boats unless they are stationary at the Bridgewater Marina and hooked up to the mains electricity. Any damage caused by the use of appliances exceeding 1800 watts will be paid for by The Hirer.
23. Vinyl Lettering
The Hirer is responsible for any damage done to the vinyl lettering on the side of the boat and will be charged for it's replacement.
24. Report Any Problems As Soon As Possible
Our boats are well maintained however if any damage or technical problems occur The Hirer is required to let The Company know as soon as possible so that problems can be dealt with and any further damage and or danger can be limited.
25. Complaints Procedure
The Company's policy is to respond to any complaint or problem which may arise as soon as possible. Should a problem arise at the start of or during your holiday, please contact The Company immediately at any time.
26. Whilst At The Bridgewater Marina.